Welcome to my Blog !

My passion is wine and so if you have any questions regarding my posts please go on and ask.

To all winelovers, restaurateurs and entrepeneurs i will be also selling some of the wines you are going to see here.

Christian Esser



Wednesday, October 27, 2010

New Age of dry Austrian Riesling !!!

My first post goes to a grape variety what is in my opinion way to underrated and people still believe Riesling or Reisling how some people pronounced is sweet but that is a long time ago.
And in some supermarket wine sections in New Zealand you still will see a big signs saying Reisling, anyway i want to introduce you to three Dry Austrian Riesling from the Wachau
(north west of Vienna).

A beautiful view over the Wachau from the castle Duernstein (left), King Richard Lion heart was kept here 900 years ago as a prisoner.

Top Riesling Producer


Let me start with the middle Weingut Knoll you will see this is one of the most remarkable labels i have seen so far and the gentleman's name on the label is Urban he is the patron saint of all who work in the wine industry, that was a good reason for me and my college to finish a bottle through out lunch but just for the good spirit of course. 



Riesling Smaragd 2008, Loibenberg, Wachau
Wonderful fresh intensity to the rich aromatic nose. The palate is rich, dry and complex
with lots of intensity and a mineral edge to the full fruit. A stunning wine.


Weingut Prager one of the most prodigious wineries in Austria making wine since over half
 a century today Ilse and Toni Bodenstein are the winemakers of this elite vineyard and believe in the soil and terroir like the previous winemakers and owners did 500 years ago.

View from the vineyard hill of the Winery Prager
(Weissenkirchen)

Riesling Smaragd 2008, Achleiten, Wachau
Its aromatic palate interplay of white peach, wet stones and subtle herbs and flowers 
particular defines Riesling for this site, A glossy, creamy rich texture and smoky notes.



Weingut Hirtzberger since five generations they are producing wine here on their old fashioned winery house build in the 13th century. Rewarded with a lot of national and international trophy's making one of my favourite Rieslings.


Riseling Smaragd 2008, Hochrain, Wachau
Starts with floral notes and lychee on the nose followed closely by dense peach,
melon and tropical fruit. The underlying acidity and mineral imparts longevity
and depth. A truly graceful selection.

Well my experience has shown me that you need to talk people into Riesling, if you say
dry Riesling most of my guests look at me like i am from a different planet usually my first thought is the must have misunderstood me because a have a pretty strong Austrian
accent so i repeat myself and its still the same expression on their faces and then i start
to explain  how well it goes with Lobster or Seafood in general and i try to explain its dry
 its not sweet but i think 70% i do that i fail and the choose a Chardonnay or a Pinot grigio
 and i ask myself why did i even put the effort into that and on a bad day i would wish i
 could have stayed at home and talk to my tomato plant.
My boss would tell me right now to change my selling strategy what i tried but on the end
of the day i want to find the right wine for the right customer.
After a long night a couple of drinks, half a pack of cigarettes and a good  night sleep
 i try to sell my Riesling again and educate people a little bit.
 Riesling is like Chardonnay from a different country its tastes totally different.
And by the way if you fertilize your tomato plant with a little Riesling once a week you
 will have a positive result.


No comments:

Post a Comment